This traditional Mexican breakfast of spicy tomatoes with eggs is given a new twist by using corn waffles and a fresh salsa with a kick. Perfect for breakfast in bed!
Huevos Rancheros, or ‘ranch eggs’ are a traditional Mexican breakfast of spicy tomatoes with eggs served on corn tortillas. This version – from new cookbook Modern Pancakes by Ryland Peters & Small – uses corn waffles in place of the tortillas, while the tomato and avocado salsa provides a fresh twist on the classic dish in which the tomatoes are usually cooked. Wake up your senses with a kick of piquant paprika and the delicate fragrance of coriander.
IMAGE: STEVE PAINTER
Huevos Rancheros Waffles
- 160 g self-raising flour sifted
- 100 g fine polenta
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- 375 ml whole milk
- 60 g butter melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 70 g Cheddar cheese grated
- Sour cream to serve
- sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 4 large tomatoes halved
- 2 ripe avocados
- freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes
- 2 heaped tbsps freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika plus extra for sprinkling
- electric waffle iron
- To make the waffle batter, put the flour, polenta, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, the 3 egg yolks, the milk and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until you have a smooth batter. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the 3 egg whites to stiff peaks and then gently fold into the batter a third at a time.
- Preheat the waffle iron and grease with a little butter.
- Ladle some of the batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook for 2–3 minutes until golden brown. Keep the waffles warm while you cook the remaining batter and are ready to serve.
- For the salsa, remove the seeds from the halved tomatoes using a teaspoon and discard. Cut the hollowed-out tomatoes into small pieces using a sharp knife. Prepare the avocados by removing the stones and skins and cutting the flesh into small pieces. Immediately mix the avocado with the lime juice and tomatoes so that it does not discolour.
- Add the coriander, sprinkle over the paprika and stir in. Season with salt and pepper and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan/skillet and fry the 8 eggs for 2–3 minutes until the whites of the eggs are cooked but the yolks are still soft.
- Place the waffles on plates and top with a generous portion of the salsa. Place the fried eggs on top and sprinkle over the grated cheese. Top with a spoonful of sour cream and a pinch of paprika, and serve straight away.
Recipe taken from Modern Pancakes, published by Ryland Peters & Small (£9.99). Photography © Ryland Peters & Small
Fancy this for breakfast? Share this recipe with friends, family and followers using the share buttons at the top of the page and discover more delicious recipes here