This decadent dish, by Diana Henry from her new book From the Oven to the Table, is deceptively quick and easy to make
They’re not cheap, but salmon fillets do mean an easy supper, as they cook so quickly. Roast green beans were a revelation t o me the first time I tried them (American chef and lover of vegetables, Joshua McFadden, got me into them). If you want to serve these beans as a side dish, roast them as directed here, scattering the flavoured crumbs over them at the end
IMAGE: LAURA EDWARDS
Roast Salmon & Green Beans with Cornichons & Mustard Crumbs
- 500 g (1lb 2 oz) green beans, topped but not tailed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 salmon fillets, 175-200g (6-7oz) each
- 50 g 1 3/4oz breadcrumbs from coarse white bread (such as ciabatta or sourdough)
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons drained and chopped cornichons
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leave parsley leaves
- finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190°C fan (400°F), Gas Mark 6.
- Put the green beans into a roasting tin or – even better – a shallow ovenproof dish that you would want to serve from, too. Toss them with a little of the oil and some seasoning.
- Brush the salmon fillets with oil as well, season, then set them on top of the beans. Roast for 12 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. When it’s hot, add the breadcrumbs and fry briskly until golden, then add the garlic and cornichons and cook for another minute. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the mustard, parsley and lemon zest, mixing together well.
- When 2 minutes of cooking time remain, spoon the breadcrumb mixture on top of the salmon and return it to the oven.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the top of the fish and serve.
From the Oven to the Table: Simple dishes that look after themselves by Diana Henry is published by Mitchell Beazley, £25.00
Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? You can share this recipe using the buttons at the top of the page and discover more foodie inspiration here