This delicious and versatile recipe for lunch or dinner, from Katy Beskow’s book Easy Vegan Bible, is simple to prepare and bursting with flavour
IMAGE: LUKE ALBERT
This traybake works beautifully as a midweek meal, or can easily be scaled up and served to special guests for an impressive dish which is simple to cook, without compromising on flavour. Delicious served with warm, crusty bread.
Aubergine, Orzo and Olive Traybake
- 1 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large aubergine eggplant, sliced into wedges
- 500 g (2 cups/17oz) passata
- 1 x 400 g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp dried orzo pasta ensure egg-free
- handful of pitted green olives
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- juice of 1⁄4 unwaxed lemon
- small handful of flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soya yogurt
- generous pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the harissa and sunflower oil. Brush the mix onto the aubergine wedges and place them into a large, deep roasting tray. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven, then pour the passata around the aubergine wedges, without covering them. Stir in the chickpeas, orzo pasta, olives, oregano and cinnamon. Loosely cover with foil and return the tray to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and squeeze over the lemon juice. Season with a little sea salt and black pepper, then scatter over the flat-leaf parsley and pomegranate seeds. Spoon over the soya yogurt just before serving.
Discover more delicious lunch recipes from The Home Page here and more tempting dishes below…