This delicious vegan baking recipe, from Katy Beskow’s book Easy Vegan Bible, combines the flavours of two much-loved British favourites
IMAGE: LUKE ALBERT
Combine two British classic bakes into this ultimate vegan hybrid flapjack. Perfect for lunchboxes, it will keep for up to four days when stored in a sealed container.
Bakewell Tart Flapjack
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 rounded tbsp golden syrup
- 1 ⁄2 tsp good-quality almond extract
- 200 g 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 rounded tbsp flaked slivered almonds, plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp glacé cherries roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cherry jam
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 and line a small baking tray (30x20cm/12x8in) with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oil, syrup and almond extract until combined.
- Stir in the oats, almonds and glacé cherries and mix until coated in the syrup mixture.
- Press half of the mixture into the baking tray, smoothing it with a spatula. Spoon over the cherry jam and distribute evenly. Press the remaining half of the oat mix over the jam and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the tray from the oven. Press on the extra flaked almonds using the back of a spoon, then return to the oven for 5 minutes until the almonds appear lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing into squares.
Discover more delicious dessert recipes from The Home Page here and more tempting dishes below…