Look no further for a crowd-pleasing lunch dish than this comforting recipe from Donna Hay’s new book Christmas Feasts and Treats
IMAGE: CON POULOS (STYLING BY STEVE PEARCE)
Amaretti, Prosciutto and Herb Stuffed Apples
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 6 slices prosciutto chopped
- 2 cups (160g) fruit sourdough breadcrumbs
- 8 amaretti biscuits (30g) crushed
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves chopped
- ¼ cup marjoram leaves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 12 Royal Gala (red) apples
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the prosciutto, breadcrumbs, amaretti, parsley, marjoram, egg and vinegar and mix to combine.
- Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Slice the tops from the apples and set aside. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the cores and discard, leaving the bases of the apples intact. Fill the cavities of the apples with the breadcrumb mixture and place on the tray. Return the tops to the apples and bake for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown and softened.
- Allow the apples to cool slightly before serving. Makes 12.
Recipe from Christmas Feasts and Treats by Donna Hay, published by Fourth Estate. RRP £20
Share this recipe with family and friends using the share buttons at the top of the page and discover more tempting recipes from The Home Page below…