This warm beetroot salad recipe is bursting with herby, zesty, earthy flavours and makes for a deliciously satisfying lunch mopped up with a toasted pitta. Taken from Deliciously Ella Founder Ella Mills’ new cookbook, Healthy Made Simple
IMAGE: © CLAIRE WINFIELD, 2024
I know beetroots aren’t everyone’s favourite veg, but trust me on this one, you have to try this beetroot salad. I say salad but really it’s more than that. It’s the scooping of harissa yoghurt with lots of herbs, sweet beets and zesty lentils with toasted pitta that does it for me – it’s just so creamy, juicy and satisfying. A perfect lunch!
Creamy Beetroot, Lentil and Yoghurt Salad with Toasted Pitta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 2 large pre-cooked beetroot (about 125g), cut into thin wedges
- 400 g tin of green lentils drained and rinsed, or 1 × 250g packet of cooked Puy lentils
- ½ bunch of coriander about 10–15g, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- ½ bunch of dill about 10–15g, finely chopped, plus extra to serve (optional)
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100 g coconut yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- sea salt and black pepper
- pitta bread toasted, to serve
- Put the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat. Once warm, add the cumin seeds, garlic and cooked beetroot and fry for 3–4 minutes until the beetroot is tender and crisp around the outside and the oil smells fragrant, then pour the contents into a bowl.
- Put the frying pan back over a medium heat and add the lentils, herbs, lemon zest (keeping a little back for serving) and juice and season to taste, cooking until warmed through.
- To serve spoon the coconut yoghurt over serving plates and swirl through the harissa. Top with the lentil mixture, then the cooked beetroot and drizzle over the garlicky cumin oil before finishing with the reserved herbs and reserved lemon zest. Serve with the toasted pitta on the side and use it to mop up the harissa yoghurt.
Recipe from Healthy Made Simple by Ella Mills, out now, published by Yellow Kite, £22. Buy here.
If you like the look of this, you’ll love this recipe for Roast Butternut, Pickled Beetroot, Feta And Puy Lentil Salad. And read our interview with Ella Mills on The Home Page here.