This rich and warming soup recipe from Héloïse Brion’s beautiful new cookbook ‘Miss Maggie’s Kitchen’ is utterly irresistible
IMAGE: © CHRISTOPHE ROUÉ
Not only does cook Héloïse Brion have a taste for wonderful, honest flavours, she has an eye for beautiful table settings and her relaxed, yet chic, French style of entertaining is utterly seductive. “The most important thing is to cook with intention,” says Héloïse. “According to a popular saying, ‘cooking is love made visible’.”
Mushroom and Parmesan Soup
- 2¼ lb. (1 kg) assorted mushrooms such as shiitakes and button mushrooms
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 7 tbsp (3½ oz./100 g) unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 2 bouillon cubes vegetable or chicken
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1½ cups (5¼ oz./150 g) grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (1 oz./30 g) shaved Parmesan
- Leaves of 2–3 sprigs fresh parsley finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Clean the mushrooms and trim the ends off the stems. Slice the mushrooms thinly and sprinkle them with the lemon juice.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the garlic and mushrooms, reserving a few slices for garnish. Cook, stirring gently, for 5 minutes, then stir in the flour. Add the water and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes to reduce.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low, and stir in the milk and grated Parmesan.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Blend in the crème fraîche.
- In a hot skillet with a little olive oil, brown the reserved mushroom slices.
- Pour the soup into a tureen and top with the mushroom slices. Sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan, parsley, and a few grinds of pepper and serve right away.
Extracted from Miss Maggie’s Kitchen: Relaxed French Entertaining by Héloïse Brion (Flammarion, 2020).*
Shopping: Prepare to Cook
*The Home Page earns a small commission from purchases made via the above links
Discover more tempting recipes from Héloïse Brion and more on The Home Page below…