This delicious savoury muffin recipe, devised for the Alzheimer’s Society’s Cupcake Day on 17th June, is bursting with sweet red pepper and sharp parmesan. The perfect snack or lunchtime dish for all the family
If sweet muffins and cupcakes are too sickly for your taste, this delicious savoury red pepper and parmesan muffin recipe is sure to delight – especially when smothered with delicious cream cheese. Devised by Joy Skipper for the Alzheimer’s Society Cupcake Day on 17th June, discover how you can get involved and help to raise vital funds for this fantastic charity below.
IMAGE: JOY SKIPPER
Red Pepper and Parmesan Muffins
- 3 red peppers halved and deseeded
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 30 g parmesan cheese grated
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 75 g butter melted
- 100 g cream cheese
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Place the peppers cut side down onto a baking tray and place under a hot grill for 12-15 minutes, until the skins are completely black. Remove from the oven and place in a bowl, covering with cling film until cold.
- Remove the blackened skin from the peppers then dice the flesh and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, half the grated Parmesan cheese and the mustard powder into a large bowl. Season with black pepper.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter, then pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix very lightly together.
- Add the diced peppers and mix a little more, but do not over-mix.
- Divide between the paper cases and top with the remaining grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden. Remove from the tin and cool on a rack before topping with cream cheese, salt and pepper and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
People affected by dementia have been left severely impacted by coronavirus and have never needed the help of the Alzheimer’ Society more. Dust off your baking bowls, whip out your whisks and unite against dementia by taking part in the Alzheimer’s Society’s Cupcake Day on 17th June 2021. Sign up for Cupcake Day here and discover the recipes for more tempting cupcakes, muffins and delicious bakes below…