This classic Red Velvet Cupcake recipe, devised for the Alzheimer’s Society Cupcake Day on 17th June, is a surefire crowd-pleaser
Cupcakes are a perennial favourite; simple to bake, a joy to eat and sure to raise a smile. So whether you’re cooking alone or with children, this classic recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes is a great place to start. Devised by Joy Skipper for the Alzheimer’s Society Cupcake Day on 17th June, discover how you can get involved and help to raise vital funds for this fantastic charity below.
IMAGE: JOY SKIPPER
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 50 g unsalted butter softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 100 ml natural yoghurt or buttermilk
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 150 g plain flour sifted
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp red food colouring
For the icing
- 100 g unsalted butter softened
- 225 g icing sugar sifted
- ½ tsp red food colouring
- red sprinkles optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the oil, followed by the egg, yoghurt and vinegar.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and red food colouring, until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide between the 12 paper cases and bake for 25 minutes, until lightly risen and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the tin and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar. Divide the mixture in half and add the red food colouring to one half.
- Spoon the red icing into one plastic piping bag and the white into another. Cut the ends of both and then place both of these together into a third piping bag with a star shaped nozzle.
- Pipe the icing onto the cooled cakes to give a two-tone topping and sprinkle with red sprinkles (optional).
People affected by dementia have been left severely impacted by coronavirus and have never needed the help of the Alzheimer’ Society more. Dust off your baking bowls, whip out your whisks and unite against dementia by taking part in the Alzheimer’s Society’s Cupcake Day on 17th June 2021. Sign up for Cupcake Day here and discover more tempting cupcake recipes below…