This colourful salad dish, by award-wining Persian chef Sabrina Ghayour, tastes as good as it looks and is super simple to prepare
Vibrant, refreshing, satisfying and delicious: all the things I want from a salad. This one is perfect served as a main meal or a side dish. Being a colourful creation, it makes a great centrepiece at any time of year, whether you use blood oranges or not.
IMAGE: KRIS KIRKHAM
Blood Orange, Pecan and Cannellini Salad with Sautéed Fennel
- olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs quartered, then cut into rough 5mm-thick slices
- 4 best-quality blood oranges or use regular oranges
- 100 g mixed salad leaves Continental or Italian mix; rocket and watercress work especially well
- 400 g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 100 g pecan nuts
- 75 g golden raisins
- 1 small packet (about 10g) of chives each stem cut into thirds
- Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon water
- generous drizzle extra virgin olive oil Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large frying pan over a medium heat and drizzle in a little olive oil. Add the fennel slices and sauté for a few minutes, until slightly softened and the edges turn golden brown. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon, season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.
- You’ll need a sharp knife to peel the oranges. With each fruit, cut a disc of peel off the top and base of the orange. Then, working from the top of the fruit downwards, cut away the remaining peel and pith in strips until the entire orange is peeled. Slice the orange widthways into 1cm-thick slices.
- Arrange the mixed leaves on a large platter or in a shallow salad bowl. Scatter over the cannellini beans and arrange the orange and pecans across the platter. Add the fennel, then scatter over the raisins and chives.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small jug, then drizzle the dressing over the salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe taken from Bazaar by Sabrina Ghayour is published by Mitchell Beazley, £26 (www.octopusbooks.co.uk). Photography by Kris Kirkham
Sounds delicious, right? Share this recipe with friends, family and followers using the share buttons at the top of this page and discover more delicious recipes here