This light and fresh summer fruit jelly recipe, from Emily Scott’s new book Sea & Shore, is the perfect sunshine dessert for the whole family
Jelly always brings a smile to my face. A childhood favourite, this strawberry, raspberry and orange jelly is wonderful. Lovely, light and palate cleansing, it’s the perfect summer pudding.
IMAGE: KIM LIGHTBODY
Summer Fruit Jelly with whole English Strawberries and Vanilla Ice Cream
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz/3 cups) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 125 g (4 oz/1 cup) fresh raspberries
- 60 g caster superfine sugar
- 150 ml (5 fl oz/scant 2/3 cup) water
- 300 ml (10 fl oz/1¼ cups) orange juice
- 41/2 sheets of gelatine
- 150 g (5 oz/1½ cups) fresh strawberries, halved
- vanilla ice cream
- Place the strawberries and raspberries in a pan with the sugar, water and orange juice. Bring to the boil without stirring, then remove from the heat.
- Place the gelatine in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Once softened, drain and squeeze out excess water from the gelatine. Place the gelatine back in the bowl and add a little of the warm fruit juices, stirring gently until the gelatine is completely dissolved. Pour into the fruit pan through a fine sieve (fine mesh strainer) and stir very gently.
- Spoon the fruits into French bistro glasses and pour over the orange liquid from the fruit pan. Stir once more, then transfer to the refrigerator to set.
- When set, decorate with halved strawberries and sprigs of mint. Serve with vanilla ice cream.